Well thankfully Debby is long gone but her legacy still lives on. The river that I'm supposed to do my field work at is now 5 feet higher than normal levels. Luckily the levels are dropping pretty quickly so I'll either get to do some sampling at the end of this week or early the week after. I started one experiment early and was also able to do some microarray sample preps, so fortunately I still had work to do in the lab, but it was a bit of a wrench in my project planning!
Despite this somewhat frustrating setback, my week was still good. On Friday night some lab people and I did some happy hour-ing downtown. There is a really fun beer bar with good draft beers and some cool games like giant connect four and shuffleboard; it was my first time going there and I will definitely check it out again. Then we ate and had more fancy beers at Stubbies and Steins, a Australian/German pub with really good food and lots of imports. I had some currywurst and a dunkel weissen as support for Germany after losing to Italy in the semi-final of the Euro cup...
And while Debby put a hault on my field work, she did bring some cool dry weather with her. It's been warm the past week but not as humid as it can get this time of year. Yesterday I got to enjoy the nice weather and sat by the pool with the lab group. It was a nice time and definitely something we will do again!
This week just also happens to have one of my favorite holidays: 4th of July!! Going to fireworks with the church group on Tuesday and having a barbeque at my apartment on Wednesday night. I can never think of a better way to celebrate America than with grilling out, relaxing outside with friends, and explosions.
No comments:
Post a Comment