After a rather crazy couple of weeks, I finally feel like I'm getting some stuff done at work. Water levels have been slowly dropping for a while, but now they FINALLY look like they will be at normal levels again soon. I've got field work penciled in for the end of this week, so hopefully nature cooperates with me and I can finally get my field sampling done for the summer.
I also finished one fish experiment today and am almost done with prepping the microarray samples, so now I can start analyzing the new samples and then get started analyzing the microarray data soon. Fingers crossed that everything works during these next couple of weeks.
I'm also thankful to have had a really nice weekend. Friday night we had happy hour with the lab and then a few of us went out dancing. I spent Saturday relaxing, cleaning, and talked to Austin for almost two hours on skype. Sunday was a great day; I sang with the band for the first time, helped set up the sanctuary and greeted guests coming to service, and then spent the afternoon catching up on some stuff at Panera. I then got to meet up with some of Austin's lab mates for dinner. Divya, the girlfriend of one of his recently graduated lab members Alex, just finished her qualifying exam and we had dinner to celebrate. It was good to see the "summer" Principe lab members (most people are out of town for the next month and a half) and I'm very happy that Divya completed her exam with success!
Another interesting week ahead, hopefully I will be gone later this week taking field samples. I'm also volunteering as part of a graduate student panel for Science Quest, a week-long event at UF where high school students learn more about science. I'm giving a short presentation on my personal path into science and what my life as a graduate student is like. I made a few slides with fun pictures so hopefully the talk goes well tomorrow!
That's about it for now, stay tuned for more updates on my crazy life ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment