Thursday, March 18, 2010

De-stressing via writing

This week for whatever reason has been absolutely draining. I think it's been my class paper/presentation as well as my first conference presentation next week, combined with a week of "bad luck" in the lab. My lab luck seems to fluctuate; one week everything will go perfectly and the next everything won't work for some unknown reason. This has been one of the latter. I think we've got some of the issues sorted out though, so we'll see what happens next!

As for presentations, I generally don't dislike giving them but always get a bit nervous before hand. That usually happens with everything I do, though, whether it be a new lab technique for the first time or taking a test. I've found the best thing to do is just let the nervousness happen: I don't try to "calm" myself down and instead let my thoughts translate into action so I can do what I need to do the best I can. It stinks to have a low level of "nervousness" leading up to these two events, but I know that I'll do my best for both of them and after all is said and done will feel really good about how it all turned out.

So needless to say the weekend ahead doesn't look too eventful, of which I'm quite glad! The weather is going to be nice on Saturday, so a good chance for me to unwind with some cycling and sun bathing, then getting my presentation slides organized on Sunday. Should be a nice way to get myself organized for the busy week ahead while getting a chance to relax (at least for a little bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment