Wednesday, November 21, 2012

SETAC meeting updates

Amidst the busy travel schedules of the meeting and Thanksgiving, I wanted to give a few quick updates on how the meeting went last week:

-We had several student activities that went great! Two noon-time seminars, a student-mentor luncheon (organized by the wonderful Student Activities committee), and our student advisory council booth where we were able to increase awareness of our student organization. I'm looking forward to helping move our group into new and exciting activities for the next meeting as well.

-The collaboration with the North American student group and the European student group continues to go well! The European student vice chair Dragan was attending the meeting and we had lots of opportunities to chat, exchange ideas, and he was able to talk with our group about their upcoming student-led meeting. I'm looking forward to working with such a great group of chairs and vice chairs (Sarah, myself, Dragan, and Jochen) as the European and North American groups continue their collaboration!

-I gave my first talk at the national meeting this year (along with co-chairing the session). I was incredibly nervous but thankfully it all went really well. Thanks so much to my lab mates and advisor for their suppot and helpful insights as I prepared my presentation! I am also happy to note that I received the 2nd place award for PhD student platform presentations...a very unexpected surprise after a very busy conference :)

-There are also new and potential collaborations on the horizon after the meeting-mosquitofish endocrine disruption research with a great group in Australia, some potential to help coordinate field work in Peru with my previous undergraduate research advisor...I love coming back from a meeting with so many great ideas, new colleagues, and very cool potential projects!

-SETAC contines to be an important part of my graduate career, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to share my ideas with and serve as the student voice for this organization. I'm looking forward to another year of serving on the Board of Directors as we strive to make our organization an even better one.

That's all for now...time to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday!
More again soon,
-Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment