We made it to the race around 5:30 and while Austin napped in the car I set up my "transition zone" area. All of the racer's bikes are in a central area with multiple bike racks. You go to your assigned bike rack, hang your bike on it, and put the rest of your gear like shoes, helmet, water bottles, etc under your bike. After eating, getting hydrated, and stretching we walked down to the beach around 6:45. The race started a little late because there was a toll booth in the park that slowed people down, so we started around 7:15.
My swim wave (females 20-29)
Each person is assigned to a swim "wave", so instead of having everyone start at the exact same time you start with a group of racers in your age group, with a new group starting every 3 minutes. I was the 5th group to go (age 20-29 females). The water was nice and calm, so even though I'm still not a very strong swimmer I had a much easier time with this leg of the race than last year. Still swallowed quite a lot of sea water, though...The 800 meters (half a mile) went by pretty fast. After the swim you run from the shore back to the transition zone to get your bike and gear for the cycling part of the race.
Running out of the ocean back to the transition zone
Biking is my favorite part by far! The first half of the bike route was really windy but on the last half I really flew. I really enjoy passing people ;) (mostly because it's the only part of the race where I get to do so!). After the 10 mile bike, they bring you back to the transition area again to hang up your bike and then I changed into my running shoes for the last part of the race.
Done biking!
By the time the run starts the sun is shining bright and it starts to feel a bit warm. The path is nice and flat but not a lot of shade, so I did get pretty hot! I went pretty slow the first mile to warm myself up, then after a water station near mile 2 I picked up the pace and then really pushed myself on the last half mile. I even managed to pass a couple of runners in my age group!
At the very start of the run
When the race was over I was amazed at how great I felt. I didn't really get tired until later in the morning, I was just so full of adrenaline at it being over, especially since I was really nervous starting out. I got some water, gatorade, and snacks after the race. Then Austin and I relaxed on the beach for a couple of hours before meeting up with a friend for lunch and then heading home.
I'm very happy that I not only did this triathlon again but that I improved my overall time by 10 minutes from last year! Next time my goal is to be a much stronger swimmer and to also be able to push myself more on the run. Until then, time for some much needed rest!
Sweaty and tired but happy!
No comments:
Post a Comment