8:30: Find a parking spot and make the 5-minute trek to the lab building.
8:40: Walk down the hall to put stuff in the autoclave but the EH&S guy is running a test, so set a timer for when it's done and make androgen doses for my experiment. Don full protective gear (lab coat, goggles, face mask). Feed fish, clean tanks, and find new breeder females.
9:30: Autoclave is open now, throw bottles in the autoclave and start one final round of edits on my poster for the conference next week (Why does microsoft power point keep changing the format of my bullet points? I swear I've fixed these at least 800 times).
10:30: Finish up my poster and get the printer set up, immediately go to fish lab to help with a dissection. The fish are small but have lots of muscle so it's tough to get the organs we need.
1:00: Alvina takes over my spot so I can take my stuff out of the autoclave and eat lunch.
1:45: Start making paraformaldehyde. It's nasty stuff so I get my full safety gear on again (lab coat, face mask) and get everything set up in the hood. Walk up and down the hall at least 5 times to get hot plates, weigh boats, and miscellaneous things that I keep forgetting on previous trips. Let sit at room temp after adding the chemical and clean up the hood area.
3:00: Think that the solution is done but realize nothing dissolved, walk back down the hall to grab the heat plate again and start warming up the solution until the solids dissolve. Write a make-up report on Tuesday's seminar for my class since I missed a few lectures for quals/conferences.
4:45: FINALLY things are dissolved, take the bottle off the heat plate and go for a run while it cools.
5:30: Return from 3 mile run (about 30 minutes, not too bad but trying to get faster), let solution cool a bit longer and then put into new containers and into the freezer.
6:00: Depart from lab, walk to my car with grad student who's just about to give her defense.
6:15: Shower, dry hair, get dressed, wait for Austin to get out of class.
7:30: Austin picks me up and we drive to the Harn art museum. Tour an exhibit of works from contemporary Japanese ceramics artists. Lots of beautiful and interesting pieces. Also watch an art group throw pottery. Austin wants to get his hands dirty but I'm more interested in watching since I'm all dressed up. Also some sudoku and martial arts demonstrations.
8:45: Depart The Harn hungry. Austin mentions ramen so now I'm hungry for Japanese food. Drive across town to Ichiban Sushi. Partake in sushi appetizer and tempura udon for a meal; take home half of the udon for lunch the next day.
10:00: Arrive back home. Promptly fall asleep on the floor after a long day of walking up and down the hall hundreds of times, taking care of and then dissecting fish, making solutions, etc etc.
3:00 AM the next day: Wake up off the floor, brush teeth and get into bed.
7:30: Wake up and start it all over again!
No comments:
Post a Comment