Thursday, August 28, 2014

Progress and some upcoming events

It's almost been three months now since the start of the post-doc and I'm really pleased with how things have progressed. From the initial trying to figure out how to get things work, I've finally got the ball rolling on what I need to do in the lab and both my boss and Unilever seem happy with what I've been able to do so far. It's been a really busy few weeks managing time in the lab, keeping on top of emails and analyzing data in the office, and the occasional meeting on skype, TC, or in person.

This week I'm taking some time off my own project to help out a lab mate with some samples he needs to get finished. A good chance for me to let sink in what I've done on my own project and to help out in the lab with some of the great work that's going on in our group.

I'm also happy that I've almost finished all of my training/entry requirements for work :) today I had training on how to use liquid nitrogen and a plate reader, and one last welcome event in the fall for new hires, and hopefully after that I'll be fully trained and an expert in the inner workings of the IIB.

I'm also looking forward to some upcoming events that will take me out of the lab for a few days that's not just for a holiday trip :) I've been helping my boss organize the upcoming International Environmental Omics Synthesis conference (iEOS) here in Liverpool and now the meeting is only a few weeks away. It will be a much smaller conference than the big SETAC meetings, about 120 people or so, which are actually really nice places to do some good networking. There will be quite a few people that know my boss well that I'll have a chance to meet, a few folks I know back from the states that are coming, and overall a good opportunity to meet some new colleagues in the field. I'll also be participating in a workshop held after the conference that ties in really well with my current project. It will be a really busy week but I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Right after the iEOS meeting, I'll be flying to Serbia for a week to help organize the upcoming YES meeting that's going to be there next March. I was at the same location, Petnica Science Center, last summer and had a great week getting to know the location and meeting the wonderful people that work there. Petnica is a beautiful research center for high school and undergraduate students and should also be a great venue for the SETAC meeting in the spring. Looking forward to seeing old colleagues, helping out with the meeting planning, and chatting with friends in the September Serbian sunshine :)

Until September rolls around, it's time to get some work done in the lab and office so I can make the most of the conference and the Petnica trip. Hope to also keep more frequent updates on the blog as well-I'll be sure to write about both but will try to keep everyone updated on life at work as well. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment