Sorry for the lack of posts in recent weeks-it's been a hectic and slightly stressful couple of weeks for me! Started off with a good week as I returned from Poland, celebrating Austin's dissertation defense with friends and knowing that he had just accepted at job at the same university as me in Liverpool! As April flew by, busy with lab work and thinking about packing and moving, we finally got the information we needed to apply for our visas. I was in a rush to get mine done since I wanted to go to a conference in Switzerland. I re-read everything a million times but somehow missed the part of the instructions that said that they didn't accept hand-written waybills for the return :( so with Austin's visa being processed in a matter of two days, mine has been waiting for nearly 8 business days now. Thankfully there are some signs that it should be done soon-and Austin and I are optimistic for good news before the end of the week.
I have been quite emotional with missing the SETAC Europe meeting-SETAC was such a huge part of my life as a graduate student, and the Europe meeting was a place with so many good friends and colleagues that I didn't want to miss that get-together that only happens once a year. I think I'm still reeling from missing it-but happy that my life in SETAC won't end once the conference is over. I'm happy to still be working with the Europe SAC to plan the next YES meeting, and it looks like going to the Vancouver meeting in November will be quite feasible, which I initially wasn't sure about-so there are things to look forward to even amidst the quite sad and stressful times that I've had this past week.
Today I took a walk through one of the many nature areas of Gainesville, enjoyed the quiet calm of the forest and thought about how great it's been to live in this state for nearly 5 years. It's beauty is so much more than beaches-it's the rustling wind in the tall pine forests, giant oaks dripping in Spanish moss, freshwater springs so clear (and cold!) that they take your breath away, and the sunny, clear, gorgeous days, that bring joy to your heart.
Florida is also home to so many more animals than back in Nebraska (at least in Omaha where I grew up) and I will hugely miss being able to look into lakes and creeks while scouting for alligators and turtles, and in walking around my lab building and seeing newborn sandhill cranes feeding with their parents, or in taking a step back as I almost step on snakes an lizards that bask in the warm afternoon sun.
We've had such a peaceful life here being close to nature, and have enjoyed the time spent in nature on our own and with friends and family that have come to visit. The UK and Europe will certainly bring other types of things to see and do, and we will enjoy the new sights while reminiscing about the beauty back home.
At Austin's graduation we got to song the UF song. Apparently we have our own song? Interesting. It was a bit old school church feeling, but I do like the lyrics:
Florida, our Alma Mater…
Thy glorious name we praise…
All thy loyal sons and daughters…
A joyous song shall raise…
Where palm and pine are blowing…
Where southern seas are flowing…
Shine forth thy noble Gothic walls…
Thy lovely vineclad halls…
'Neath the Orange and Blue victorious our love shall never fail…
There's no other name so glorious…
All hail, Florida, hail!
I love you, Florida, and will miss you lots! And here are a ridiculous amount of pictures to show off your gorgeous face :)
See you again soon, sunshine state! :*

No comments:
Post a Comment