Monday, April 18, 2011

Life updates

In brief, since my last post I:

-Found out that the travel restriction to Japan has been lowered, so we are good to go to Japan this summer! Still waiting on final NSF approval that will come next month and will likely book my plane tickets sometime after that. I still feel like I'm in a bit of disbelief to be getting such an awesome fellowship!

-Finished my first triathlon this weekend: 800 meter swim, 10 mile bike, and 3.4 mile run. The swim was crazy choppy but I survived (yay!), the bike ride was awesome, and the run was hot but scenic. I finished in 1:47 which was kind of slow for my age group but I met my goal of finishing in under two hours. Now I'm going to focus on running faster and becoming a stronger swimmer so I can really own the next race!

-Got a new member for my committee to fill my advisor's spot (I need a certain number of UF faculty members) and will have my first meeting with everyone next month. That meeting will set up details for the qualifying exam and the rest of my project. Kind of scary but also exciting that I'm finally getting ready to move towards the next stage of my graduate career.

-Leaving for Europe in 17 days. The train tickets are booked, hostels are reserved, and our itinerary is being finalized this week. I'm sooo excited for vacation after such a crazy spring, especially a vacation that's as fabulous as ten full days in some of the finest cities in Europe: Barcelona, Paris, Munich/Bavaria, Brussels, and London!

That's the major stuff for now I guess. Leaving for NE on Friday for Easter weekend (can't believe Lent is almost over!) then it's a fast-paced sprint to getting everything ready to leave for Japan...

No comments:

Post a Comment